What is the first thing when you hear the word cataract? May be related to the eyes. Cataract is basically the clouding of the lens in the eye leading to a decrease in vision. People who develop it face difficulties in reading, driving, etc.It grows slowly without affecting your vision at an earlier stage. Generally, people over 60 years get affected by this, but with time it can be seen affecting younger people also.If cataract is not treated, then over a period of time it can also cause blindness. There are different types of cataracts. They are as follows:
• Age related cataracts • Congenital cataracts • Secondary cataracts • Traumatic cataracts
Cataracts occur when the level of proteins increases in the lens. It prevents light from passing clearly through the lens which causes loss of vision. Usually cataract develops in one eye, but in some cases cataract develop in both the eyes. Cataracts usually are not symmetrical. There are many factors that increase the risk of cataract. Some of the common factors are: 1. Increasing age 2. Diabetes 3. Excessive amount of alcohol 4. High blood pressure 5. Obesity 6. Previous eye surgery 7. Smoking As the cataract increases, it clouds more of your lens and changes the light passing through the lens. This may also give you some clue or symptoms which you are more likely to notice. However some common symptoms are:
1. Clouded or blurred vision: This is the most common symptom of cataract. You might notice that your vision may appear cloudy and foggy. As the amount of cataract increases less light reaches the retina.
2. Fading or yellowing of colors: Cataract can affect your color vision. Your vision may gradually take brownish or yellowish color. You may not notice this at first but slowly and gradually it may be hard to distinguish between colors like blue and purple.
3. Affects eyesight usually at night: One of the common symptom for cataract is you vision changes in the dark and you cannot see things properly at night. With increase in technology, surgery has become easy and flexible mode to deal with cataracts.With highly experienced surgeons in Mumbai the surgery is effectively performed. • Phacoemulsification: In this surgery, eye’s internal lens is emulsified with an ultrasonic hand piece and aspirated from the eye. This surgery doesn’t require any injection and there is no pain. • MICS: Micro incision cataract surgery requires an incision that is less than 2.2 mm. This surgery gives an advantage of least possibility of astigmatism or cylindrical number. • Customized cataract surgery: A person who is facing problem nearsightedness or farsightedness can correct their vision with this surgery. The implantation of a standard “monofocal” IOL and achieve good distance vision without glasses. • OZIL TECHNOLOGY: Latest generation phacoemulsification machines have the new technology called OZIL. Ozil technology involves use of torsional energy rather than longitudinal energy of conventional phacoemulsification machines. Ozil technology enables to operate on hard cataracts with lesser energy dissipation in the eyes and hence helps in faster recovery and better outcomes. Ozil technology is available at Mumbai Eye Care with our latest phaco machine from Alcon USA, Centurion Vision System which is the most advanced system in the world that maintains your normal eye condition throughout the surgery.
Visit your nearest best eye clinic in Mumbai today for ask for Centurion vision system. However you can follow these home remedies to provide extra care.
1. Use a magnifying glass to read. 2. Use brighter lamps in your home. 3. Wear sunglasses or hat when you go out so as to reduce the glare. 4. Try to reduce driving at night. Self-care tips can help you for a while but as cataract problem increases your vision may reduce further. Studies recently showed that a healthy diet rich in vitamins and minerals can reduce the risk of developing cataracts.
For more further queries contact us.